If you’re planning a patio door remodel, you have some exciting choices to consider. Deciding upon a sliding door vs. a hinged door is one of the most important. If you opt for the latter, you’ll likewise want to consider whether a center-hinged patio door or double patio door works best in your space. Are you searching in the Baltimore, MD, or Washington, DC areas? Contact Master Seal for top-quality product options and installation services. Call us at 855.608.1580 or reach out online for a price quote today.
What Are the Basic Options for Patio Doors?
When it comes to revamping your patio-to-home entry point, the options can feel staggering. Rest assured, however, that a qualified team like the one at Master Seal can help you navigate what choices will work best both for your aesthetic preferences and practical space needs. To get you started, here are the three major designations of patio door styles:
- Sliding: Sliding patio doors typically include at least two large glass panels, one of which is stationary and the other of which can slide open and shut on a track. Sliding doors almost always also feature a screen that can be retracted separately.
- Center-Hinged: This style resembles sliding doors at first glance in that it has at least two panels placed next to one another, one stationary and one mobile. Instead of sliding, however, the mobile door swings either inward or outward on hinges placed on the centerfold between the two panels.
- Double: Also known as French doors, this style features two panels that open from their center seam and are hinged on their edges abutting the surrounding walls.
While the second and third styles less commonly feature screens, this option is also good. It is a benefit that Master Seal is proud to include in its various hinged patio door choices. Having a screen is advantageous regardless of the style of door you choose since this allows you to maximize airflow while still keeping out insects and windborne debris.
What’s the Cost of Sliding Patio Doors vs. Hinged Patio Doors?
Patio door costs vary widely based on a few features that go beyond their basic style. These include:
- The material from which they’re made, such as fiberglass, smooth steel, textured steel, or even wood
- Their size and the number of panels included
- Whether their dimensions are standard or custom
- Standard vs. custom colors
- Presence or absence of miniblinds
That said, there are still some general trends to consider in pricing out the various styles of patio doors in Maryland. Sliding patio doors are the most cost-effective, costing about $300-$1,500. Hinged patio doors range from about $500-$400, and French patio doors specifically range from about $1,000-$2,500.
What Are the Differences in Installing Sliding Glass Doors vs. Center-Hinged Patio Doors?
In general, installing a patio door is a one-day job for a professional team. It is advisable to hire pros for this particular remodel as it can be fairly complex and may require multiple people. Many factors also affect how long an installation will take, including the number of panels the door has, whether the aperture is already cut to the correct size, and whether it is completely level. In general, sliding doors take longer since they are often heavier than hinged doors, and tracks will need to be laid.
In terms of the overall pros and cons of each door style, here are a few key points to consider:
- Double-hinged doors are considered a very traditional style. This makes them a great choice for a conservative aesthetic and allows for many design options. They also help maximize airflow but do require more space since they swing either into the home or out onto the patio.
- Center-hinged doors take up less space than their double-hinged counterparts but still require significant clearance. Aesthetically, they can provide a more economical but still reminiscent counter option to French doors.
- Sliding doors: sleek and modern, this option is best if you’re looking to optimize a smaller space. Because sliding doors don’t extend onto the patio or into the house, they are very efficient.
Learn More About Patio Door Options by Contacting Master Seal in Rosedale, MD Today
A new patio door can make a world of difference to your property. Gracefully connecting your interior and exterior spaces, this vital home addition makes entertaining, maximizing airflow, and enjoying natural light so much easier. Call Master Seal at 855.608.1580 or reach out to us online for more information about your Baltimore, MD, or Washington, DC remodel today.