Bay windows are one of the most stunning features a home can have. Not only do they maximize the amount of natural light flowing into your interior, but they also greatly expand the space of your floor plan and add very real value to your property. Bay window decor ideas are nearly endless, but at Master Seal, we’re always here to help. What follows are a few suggestions to get you started in planning how to utilize this fabulous feature. Give us a call at 855.608.1580 or reach out online if you’d like to learn more about bay window installation in the Baltimore, MD, or Washington, DC, areas.
Ideas for Dining Room Bay Window Decorating
If your dining room features a bay window or you’re considering installing one, rest assured that this is one of the best rooms in the house for it. Here are just a few ways you might consider decorating this addition:
- Place a rounded dining table in the space: Enjoy close proximity to the outdoors and open up walkways by nestling your eating space into the curvature of the windows.
- Put in a single shelf: Adding a single shelf to a bay window can give you handy additional counter space for family dinners, home bars, or buffet-style parties.
- Hang lush curtains: Window drapery has long been a favorite way to easily add a luxe point of interest to your space. Consider a warm tone like crimson or deep burgundy for an appetite-whetting effect or a soft white or cream for a breezy, carefree vibe.
Making the Most of a Bedroom Bay Window
Though perhaps less common, a bay window in the bedroom is an absolute treat, especially if your sleeping area looks out on a beautiful view. Here are a few tips for making the most of this architectural gem:
- Put in a reading nook: Set up comfortable armchairs that face the window. There’s nothing cozier than curling up with a good book in the comfort of your own room’s private reading nest. Take it a step further by installing small shelves under the panes to store your favorite titles.
- Decorate with plants: Bay windows in all their forms make wonderful indoor growing spaces because of the additional light they let in. Bringing an assortment of plants into your bedroom improves the ambiance, air quality, and general cheer.
- Put in Blinds: Among the most elegant types of blinds are wooden slatted options and Roman blinds. Whatever style you choose, blinds provide needed privacy and light-control options.
What to Do With a Small Bay Window
Not all homes can accommodate a sprawling bay window, and a small one can be just as impactful as a large one when presented well. Here are a few ideas on how to utilize a smaller variation:
- Keep the space open: For maximum floor space expansion impact, don’t fill in your smaller bay window with much. To further increase the sense of space, paint nearby walls or sills in light colors to reflect the natural light as much as possible.
- Place a small table in the space: A round or semi-circular accent table can be an excellent option for a bay window too small for a dining table or loveseat. Use this small table to display a single object like a vase of flowers or an attractive houseplant.
- Give yourself or your pet the royal treatment: Place a vertically oriented cat tree or single comfy chair in your petite bay window. Just because the space is best for one occupant at a time doesn’t mean they can’t sit in style!
Bay Window Furniture Ideas That Make a Statement
There are many great furnishing options for bay windows, from the traditional to the whimsical. Here are a few possibilities to consider for yours:
- A window seat: Arguably the most traditional use for a bay window available, a window seat is sure to become a favorite reading, conversation, or nature-gazing space.
- A love seat or fainting couch: Also fairly traditional, using a bay window to house a seat set slightly away from the panes has the advantage of increased warmth and light streaming in over one’s shoulders.
- A hammock: Decidedly out of the ordinary, a larger bay window may be able to accommodate a hammock or other hanging seat. This fun re-envisioning of the bay window seating area is sure to draw comments from guests and prove a favorite with any kids in the house.
Contact Master Seal to Learn More About Bay Window Installation or Renovation Near Baltimore Today
Why wait to start enjoying the endless aesthetic and health benefits of increased sunlight in your space? If you already have a bay window, give it a spring cleaning and consider a revamped deco scheme. If you’re looking to install or have other windows and doors needs in the Baltimore or DC area, call Master Seal at 855.608.1580 or reach out online. We’re standing by to help you and look forward to chatting about your home’s unique and beautiful character.